Mount Olive Baptist Church (MOBC) was founded in 1875 by a group of Baptist believers out of the First Baptist Church of South Richmond, Virginia, under the leadership of Nathan Branch, Richard Claiborne, Johnny Johnson and Joseph Wilson. The first church service was held at Stop 5 on the Manchester and Petersburg Pike Road, now known as Cofer Road and Jefferson Davis Highway, under a Bush Arbor shelter. Later, at this same location, under the leadership of Rev. Jordan Smith the first recorded pastor of MOBC, a small structured would be built for the worshipful service and education of its congregation.
The church's present location, 2611 Bells Roads, was purchase in 1924 under the leadership of Rev. J. Spurgeon Johnson, with the church building being completed in 1926. The first church building was destroyed by fire on Oct. 15, 1967. The cornerstone for the current church building was laid on July 18, 1970 with the first church service in the new building held on the 5th Sunday of Nov. 1970. Over the years the church has undergone many different renovations to keep up with changing times. Also, since that initial purchase in 1924, MOBC, by the grace of God has been able to purchase the surround property for the uplifting of God's kingdom.